6/28/2012 9:18 AM
Yesterday was National HIV Testing Day, and I hope that readers, dating or single, took part. Despite common perceptions, AIDS is still a very real problem in the US, and transmission rates remain high. Half all HIV people who give a partner HIV did not know they had it. Plus, even though HIV is the big scary one that gets attention, there are dozens of other STIs waiting out there for the unaware.
All of this makes safe sex know how and practices a must. But, there are still a lot of myths and poor practices out there that make STI transmission more likely. What's your Safe Sex IQ? Take our quiz to find out. I'll post the answers tomorrow.
Answer the following questions, true or false:
- Condoms are 98% effective at preventing pregnancy.
- If a man gets HPV, he’ll usually have symptoms that will let him know.
- It’s fine to use Vaseline or oil-based lubricants with condoms.
- If both partners are already HIV-positive, you don't need condoms.
- It’s possible to get an STI from sex toys.
- Birth control pills are effective even when taken at different times of the day, so long as you take them every day.
- Half of all people will catch an STD at some point in their lives.
- By age 30, half of all women will have had a chlamydia infection.
- About 90% of all people who have herpes have no idea they have it.
- Most people never ask the HIV status of a new lover.
Posted by Lara