7/2/2012 3:09 PM
Dating online means that your search for the right one is not hindered by geography: you have an entire world full of people who you might be compatible with. But, finding someone online can lead to some time spent in one tricky kind of relationship, the long-distance relationship. Thankfully, it is easier than ever to keep close while you wait for a time for the two of you to live in the same place together.
A few of our favorite tips for making things work when you are in a long distance online relationship:
- Videochat regularly. Each of you should have a webcam that you can have so that you can see each other when you talk online. While it's not quite the same as being there, being able to see one another's faces while you chat helps you feel more close. PLM's videochat feature makes it easy to keep in touch without the need to download additional software.
- Don't forget low-tech options. Write a long letter or send a cute postcard. Receiving special treats in the mail is fun. Your long distance partner will treasure those little surprises in her mailbox.
- Send your love small gifts. Does he have a favorite brand of cologne? Buy him a bottle online and have it sent to his door step. Pick out a gorgeous locket for her and send a note saying how you'd love to fasten it around her neck.
- Send a couple of flirtatious texts a day. Just a little note to let your love know that you are thinking of him can really brighten his day. You can also include snapshots of you out at favorite places that you can't wait to share with your partner. As far as steamy content, it's probably best to keep it at about a PG-13; if your partner's phone is lost or stolen, you'll know that no compromising pictures made it out into the wild.
- Share music online. Create an online radio station or playlist just for your partner. Fill your list with songs and artists that make you think of the one you love, such as the song that was playing the first time you met, or one with lyrics that say exactly what you are thinking about your love.
- Make dates to watch movies or TV together. Video sites like NetFlix that have full length movies and TV shows mean that you don't even have to be in the same time zone to watch the same films and shows together. Count to three and hit play at the same time so that you are as close to being in sync as possible. Sharing laughs and thrills in your favorite shows and movies help the two of you feel close.