6/25/2012 11:05 AM
It can take time to meet and woo the right person. Once you are together, keeping that relationship requires just as much attention as it did to draw your SO to you in the first place. Check out our tips for making sure that your relationship lasts:
- Take the time to do the little things. Pick up your boyfriend or girlfriend's favorite wine or candy. Pick up flowers every so often. If you live together, do a load of laundry or wash the dishes without being prompted.
- Notice changes in your boyfriend or girlfriend's appearance. Did he get a new shirt? Did she change her hair? Knowing that you look at them -- and appreciate what you see -- keeps your lover feeling wanted.
- Pay attention to your appearance, as well. It can be easy to get complacent. Maintain hygeine and health routines, and pay attention to your clothes to keep yourself as attractive as possible for your boyfriend or girlfriend.
- Do things together. At least once a week, schedule some sort of date. Keep things interesting by occasionally doing something new together that you haven't done before.
- But, do things on your own, too. In the healthiest relationships, each partner has their own outside interests. Not only does this keep each of you from putting too much stress on your relationship, it makes you each happier and more well-rounded as individuals, as well.
- Really listen when your partner talks. This goes for discussions about their day, a new hobby, as well as concerns about the relationship. Maintain an interest in the things that are important to your boyfriend or girlfriend to make them feel appreciated.
- If something is wrong, handle it as soon as possible. Bottling up resentments just makes them grow, and that can be poison for your relationship.
- Let the little things go. Did she use your razor again? Did he forget to take out the trash? If it's not something that is a huge deal, don't sweat it. Making every little problem into a huge deal makes the relationship lose its fun for you both.
- Respect each other's boundaries. If she is, for instance, extremely private about her emails, respect that. We feel happiest and most secure with those who we know will respect our boundaries and comfort zones.
- Respect each other's needs. If it makes him feel more comfortable for you to call & let him know that you got home safe, it's just respectful to do that favor. If she is really into cuddling after sex, honor that need. Being in a relationship means making sure that each person is getting their needs satisfied.
Comments are closed
© Copyright 2013 Global Marketing Resources, Inc. and
PlanetLoveMatch.com | Planet Love Match® is a registered trademark of Global Marketing Resources, Inc. Articles may not be copied or reproduced absent express written permission of Global Marketing Resources Inc.