8/22/2012 2:06 PM
Blogosphere, I have been having a crappy day. It started with car trouble at 5 am, then went on to include a little blue-screen-o’-death on my laptop and the departure of a cool grand that I hadn’t planned on spending this week. But, right now I’m so happy I’m bouncing in my seat. Mood disorder? No, it’s just because I’m being brought exactly the comfort-food lunch I need by someone who loves me. He knows exactly the sort of fatty junk food that will make me feel better, and texted his intentions a few minutes ago.
A well-timed fast food sandwich is one of the best things that’s happened to me this week. These little gestures are the glue that keep us together through the rough spots, and keep us happy and satisfied.
Want to make your love smile, but drawing a blank on how? Let this little list inspire you:
- Pick up a favorite candy bar, soda or other snack.
- Write a love note and tuck it in his pocket for him to find later.
- Got a stereo old enough to have a tape deck? Make a mix tape. Those who only have access to newer technology can get (almost) the same effect with a mix CD or custom playlist.
- Buy a book that you know she’s been meaning to read.
- Send him a telegram. There are still services will hand deliver them. They’re pricey, but unusual enough to be worth it.
- Make a special dinner consisting only of your partner’s favorite foods.
- Watch a sunset together.
- Do a chore your SO has been putting off, especially if it isn’t your job. Coming home to a surprise batch of clean laundry or an unexpectedly mowed lawn is a fantastic, stress-relieving treat.
- Make a batch of fudge. This recipe is easy enough that even the completely kitchen-impaired can pull it off.
- Write a secret message on the mirror using shampoo. The next time he showers, it will be visible in the steam.
- Make coffee and some muffins, then get up early to watch a sunrise together.
- Surprise him at the office with a home-cooked lunch.
- Buy a small, useful, thoughtful gift that your SO would not treat himself to. For instance, if he usually uses cheap ball points, buy some comfortable, smooth gel pens.
- Treat her to breakfast in bed.
- Send a movie that he wants to watch to the top of your Netflix queue.
- Is his wallet falling apart? Socks stretched out? Replacing something for him, particularly something he hasn’t mentioned yet, is a cute surprise pick-me-up.
- Give her a foot massage.
- Show up with take-out on a particularly busy day.
- Dance with her. It doesn’t matter whether you are any good at it, it only matters that you try.
- Draw a bath and enjoy it together while snacking on fruit and champagne.
- Take her on a date at the place you first met.
- Make a homemade card.
- Take her for a walk in the rain.