9/24/2012 10:09 AM
You seem to have good chemistry in your email and phone conversations. But then, when you finally meet, it all goes flat. What happened? It could be that you committed one of the dating mistakes that turns women off. What are the top mistakes that can kill attraction cold? Read on to find out.
(And, before you comment that this advice is one-sided: I’ll be back tomorrow with the top dating mistakes that women make.)
- Bad-mouthing your ex. This only reflects badly on you.
- Checking out other women. When you are on a date, your attention should be on the lady you are with.
- Talking about financial problems. A lot of people have been hurt by the down economy. But, this sort of negative talk, particularly when you are first dating, can be a real deal-breaker.
- Not calling. Skip the complicated rules about how many days to wait to make a call. It’s okay to pick up the phone to say hello and let her know that you are interested.
- Being jerky to service people or tipping poorly. Guys who behave badly toward servers, taxi drivers or other service professionals send up a serious red flag.
- Talking about yourself too much. If you dominate the conversation, it looks like you are not interested in her.
- Firing off too many questions. While you absolutely should be curious about her and want to get to know her, inquiries should flow naturally in the conversation. Too many questions makes you feel like you are on a job interview.
- Revealing too much too soon. Spilling too much information, especially on a first date, can be overwhelming.
- Showing up late or cancelling at the last minute. This is a dating mistake that men make that makes women feel like they are not a priority. Work on managing your time so that you don’t leave her disappointed.
- Bragging. Don’t worry, fellas. If you are that impressive, she’ll figure it out on her own pretty quickly, and be impressed by how humble you are.
- Talking about sex too soon. It’s presumptuous, uncomfortable, and a serious turn-off.
- Being possessive. This is a turn-off even in committed relationships. If you are starting to act jealous even before the exclusivity talk, chances are, you are going to scare her off.
- Complimenting her too much. It starts to sound artificial, insincere and manipulative.
Some of the top dating mistakes that men make are easy to avoid, others take awareness and practice. But, by taming these issues, you can increase your odds of second dates, and your chances of making a romantic connection.