7/9/2012 11:28 AM
Online dating is perfect for people who are shy; your first contacts are usually via email, which gives you a chance to communicate and get to know someone a bit without the pressure of having to think of things to say in person. But, you and your new love interest will obviously want to meet in person eventually. While it can be a nerve-wracking step, the chance at a happy relationship is worth it.
No one is safe from first date jitters; but, people who are shy can have an especially tough time with them. Fortunately, there are a lot of date activities that can help extremely shy people feel a bit more comfortable, and give them some time to crawl out of their shells.
- Take a class together. Cooking classes, art, or even something physical like a beginner’s yoga class give you and your date something to do while you get to know each other. Having an activity to concentrate on reduces the need for conversation. Plus, creating something together is a great bonding experience.
- Go miniature golfing. Mini golf is another option that allows you to enjoy a structured activity. Terrible player? Good! Laughing over your poor swing can help you feel more at ease.
- Head to a museum. Are you and your date fans of art, history or science? Going to a local museum can be an educational and enjoyable date experience. The subject matter of the museum provides topics for conversation while eliminating the pressure to keep up the chatter.
- Go to the zoo or an aquarium. The tranquil beauty of an aquarium can sooth first-date nerves.
- Take a hike in the woods together. The mild exertion helps burn off a little anxiety while giving you something to do. You can converse as much or as little as you like while you take in the scenery together.
- Go to a comedy club. Few things help ease tension like laughter. A comedy club gives you something outside yourselves to focus on, so you can get comfortable just sitting together. Order a drink and share an appetizer. After the show, you and your date will be chatting comfortably together.
- Go to the movies. Comedies are a great choice. As we mentioned before, laughter helps you relax. The jolts from horror or suspense movies can also help break the ice; if you go with this genre, make sure you pick a lighter film, since excess gore or grim subject matter can dampen the mood.
- Play videogames together. Are you and your date gamers? Make a first date fun by indulging in your shared interest. Either go to an arcade, or if you are both fans of home console games, have your date at one of your houses. Games that allow you and your date to collaborate are ideal. Be sure to stock up on plenty of tasty snacks to share.
- Head to a sporting event. Sports fans can find common ground rooting together for the home team. If there isn’t a match going on locally, head for a bar where the game will be on, but that you know is quiet enough for you to still converse with each other. Obviously, do not pick this if you or your date is not a sports fan. Otherwise, you risk boredom, which is a killer on a first date.
- Go see a play. This is just far enough out of the ordinary to be an intriguing date option. The play gives you a chance to sit quietly for awhile, and also provides a topic of conversation for coffee afterward.
All of the above activities are great for shy daters. Still feel nervous about your date? Remember, this person has agreed to go out with you because he or she likes you. And, chances are, your date is nervous, too. Forming a relationship with someone compatible can be difficult for shy folks, but, it’s worth getting past those initial pre-date jitters.